Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Rain in Fort Collins is Kinda a Big Deal

Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, my body turned towards our open window, I was suddenly pulled toward consciousness by a clap of thunder. My eyes sprung open, and 30 seconds later I saw a flash of lighting. For the next ten minutes or so, I lay in bed, comfortable and cozy, and counted the seconds between each lightning flash and thunder roll. Slowly, it got closer. I heard the pitter patter of rain on the metal roof of our shed. I inhaled the spring wind that suddenly swirled around our bedroom and I smiled. It was a thunderstorm. An isolated one, but a thunderstorm. It was all over after about 20 minutes, but this morning I saw that the deck was still a bit wet -- a sure sign that we got a steady rain for longer than a minute.

The radar and forecasts are looking pretty solid as far as rain goes. This afternoon, tonight and tomorrow afternoon -- rain. I can't wait to see how two rainy days change the landscape of our little yard and garden. I can't wait to relish the view of green foothills, usually tawny by July. I can't wait to take a deep breath of rain-soaked air.

Horestooth Reservoir on a stormy day in early June.
Please don't remind me what happened the last time I got pumped for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment